The Great Crayon Exchange
We loved participating in this project! There were squeals of joy when they received their midnight mystery crayons! So much fun! Thank you!
Fill out the form below.
You will receive a media email which will include:
- a pdf file of the flyer you can send home with students,
- images for the school facebook/instagram accounts
Decorate a box!
This is a great way to involve students in the project and talk to them about upcycling. We also LOVE to see pictures of the decorated boxes. So make sure to email them so we can share them!
Give the flyer to the kids
Send the flyer home and have kids bring in broken crayons and fill up the box!
Send everything to us
Send the broken crayons and paperwork into us:
The Great Crayon Project
352 Main St #1204
Oneonta, NY 13820
Please note: At this time we are not able to pay for shipping to send crayons in. We suggest seeing if the PTO or a school organization can sponsor the crayon exchange. Flat Rate Priority Boxes fit a lot of crayons and keep costs fairly reasonable! We DO cover shipping of the rainbow crayons back to you!
We send you crayons
Once your box of broken crayons and paperwork are received, we will send you a new shaped crayon for each student.
The current crayons we are sending are "Midnight Mystery" crayons. Adorable shaped crayons made out of dark colors- purples, black, blues, browns, grays. It is a double mystery - what shape will you get and what colors will it draw!
Kids absolutely LOVE our crayon exchanges! It gets them thinking about upcycling in a whole new way! Teachers work our exchanges into recycling units, Earth Day lessons, and spirit or school events.
We look forward to doing "The Great Crayon Exchange" with you!
Start An Exchange
Have questions before starting your Great Crayon Exchange? Check out our FAQ below.
All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.
Frequently asked questions
Can't find the answer you're looking for? Contact us here.
- How long does it take to get the fun-shaped crayons back?
- Please allow 2-4 weeks from the time we receive your broken crayons to ship the fun-shaped crayons back. We strive to be as efficient as possible. If the new crayons are needed by a specific day (last day of school, event, etc), please let us know and we will let you know if we can meet that day.
- How many crayons do I need to collect in order to receive the amount of crayons I requested?
- At this time, we have no minimums that need to be met. Any crayons recycled are better than no crayons recycled! :)
- What is the cost?
- Schools/Teachers/Organizations/Individuals are responsible for the cost of shipping the broken crayons to us.There is a $10 flat fee for the exchange, (regardless of amount of broken crayons collected or new crayons requested)